5 Tips to Combat RSI and Other Author Health Issues
By Ben Cameron, May 8 2017 04:33PM
By Laxmi Hariharan
This year I completed three books in four months. Great you say? Well the result I was struck by RSI – Repetitive Stress Injury. Not just painful, but chronic not something you can treat with medicine. And worse I couldn’t write.
I had to step away from my keyboard for an entire two weeks and it killed me. Not just because I wasn’t producing but because I wasn’t writing. The ability to express myself has become a part of me to the extent that if I can’t write, it feels I am bottling up emotions inside. No wonder writers are loners. You share so much in your books; you have nothing left to share in the real world. So, this post is about how to prevent RSI from striking. Here’s what you can do-
Treat your body like that of a marathon runner. An athlete. Your arms especially and your eyes are your income earners. You have to take care of them.
1. Download anti-RSI software app that makes you stop and step away from Keyboard at regular times. This is key, prevent RSI now before it hits you, especially if you have a day job and also write. Try this free software: http://www.workrave.org/
2. Ergonomic keyboard and mouse. These work as I found after much research. I also switched to using a left-handed mouse (easier than you’d think)
3. This book and exercises helped too. Good to use them to stretch your fingers even if you don’t have RSI: http://www.rsipain.com/stretching-exercises.php
As did this: http://www.rsipain.com/psyche.php#painmemory
4. It’s important to have a daily stretching routine to ensure your muscles are limber. These exercise help: yoga, pilates or Aikido or any other routine that gets you to stretch. Something like barre yoga I found is perfect: https://www.timeout.com/london/sport-and-fitness/the-best-barre-fitness-classes-in-london
5. Or you can switch to DRAGON, the best voice to writing software which many prolific writers use: http://www.nuance.co.uk/dragon/index.htm. I haven’t yet tamed the dragon I confess, so more on that soon.
Laxmi Hariharan is a New York TImes bestselling author. Follow her on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laxmiwrites
Have you suffered from writers’ RSI? If you did do tweet us @cameronpmtweets and let us know how you dealt with it here on twitter: https://twitter.com/CameronPMtweets. You can also contact us at email@example.com, or Facebook: www.facebook.com/CameronPublicity
Looking for Publicity for a Young Adult Novel? Whatever You Do, Don't Target Teenagers
10 Top Tips For Creating The Best Book Blurb
7 Steps to a Great Radio or Podcast Interview
How to Approach Blogs for Book Reviews or Coverage - Make It Personal!
We Are All Book Reviewers Now!
Targeting Television to Promote Your Book
Crowdfunding: It's Not Just About The Money
Book Publicity and Marketing: Making the Most of Radio Interviews
Know Your Rights! - Tips for Making the Most of Book Sales Opportunities
Book Publicity: Five Top Tips for Success for Independent Publishers